Hold A Family Meeting
How do you generate “buy-in” from everyone involved and work to be on the same page?
We suggest that you gather as a family and hold a meeting to discuss how you are all feeling about being “unexpected homeschoolers.”
Basics of Family Meeting:
- Use a talking stick, so only one person is speaking
- Really listen to children when they propose ideas or tell you what they need
- Pose a question and let it unfold
- Keep the meeting to no more than 20-30 minutes
- Avoid lecturing or saying “no”
- Stick to solutions versus focusing on problems
- Write all ideas down and hang them up. It’s okay not to come up with one plan at the first meeting.
Family Meeting Prompts:
- Are there things you are excited about or worried about?
- Discuss your expectations. How do you envision days unfolding?
- What is essential for everyone to do each day?
- What questions do you need to be answered?